Friday, November 6, 2009

jacflash beauty secrets: Tips for Red Lips


As my close friends know, I used to be an avid tanner. I would go to the tanning salon atleast once every two weeks since I was 15. Since last February I decided to embrace my inner albino and as we say at jacflash, "come as I am". One of the best ways to enhance and compliment a fairer complexion is with red lips. Red lips are classic, making any face look instantly elegant. I would even go as far as to say red lipstick is the "little black dress" of the makeup world.

Here are some tips for red lips:

1. Match your skin tone:

All skin tones: True primary red

Cool Skin Tones (pink undertones): pink tones of red, berry reds, blackberry red, brick reds, blue tones of red, plum tones


 Warm skin Tones (yellow undertones): orangey reds, warm reds, tomato reds, brown based reds, golden reds, tawny reds.



Finally, it's worth mentioning that blue toned reds will have a whitening effect on teeth.


2. Keep other makeup subtle:


3. Give yourself time to get used to it:

It took me a few weeks to get used to the red lip look and I actually began by wearing a bright pink shade and then slowly eased myself into the darker shades of reds.


4. Apply it correctly:



Line and fill in lips with liner. Apply a lipstick from the tube or using a lip brush (which eases color into tiny lip lines) over the liner. Blot once with a tissue, and lightly dust with face powder. Apply one more coat of lipstick.